[Sussex] RE: Network Monitoring Talk [Was: Moots]

Lee W sxlug-list at unassemble.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 20:33:34 UTC 2005

Hi Steve,

>I've book you in for August 25th.  Enough time to prepare?

Should be enough time, although I believe there may be a possiblity of
Gavin doing a "New to Linux" talk as said in your original.  This
doesn't look as thought it has been confirmed yet, but I would hate to
step on his toes.

>I would suggest you also look at classics like netstat and tcpdump but
>if the functionality is better in one of the other packages then as it
>is your presentation they do was you feel.

I was thinking more around the long time analysis/monitoring/alerting
type of apps as opposed to the tools you mention (aren't they more for
network diagnostics when you already know you have a problem?) but I
will see if I can mention in the talk so as to give an idea where they
would fit in, that is if people feel it is appropriate.

>Network monitoring is a useful tool.  How else can you chack if you're
>using the correct ports or find out where in the chain something is
>going wrong.
>
>Steve

In general how long should the talks be?  Marks' was about 1/2 hour
wasn't it, is that the average length?

Thanks

Lee