[Sussex] RE: Network Monitoring Talk [Was: Moots]

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Apr 29 22:27:09 UTC 2005

Lee

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 21:27 +0100, Lee W wrote:
> >I've book you in for August 25th.  Enough time to prepare?
> Should be enough time, although I believe there may be a possiblity of
> Gavin doing a "New to Linux" talk as said in your original.  This
> doesn't look as thought it has been confirmed yet, but I would hate to
> step on his toes.

The last I heard from Gavin (at the moot) was that he had some ideas.
This is a long way (in my book) from giving a talk and I assign talks in
the order I get them.

> >I would suggest you also look at classics like netstat and tcpdump but
> >if the functionality is better in one of the other packages then as it
> >is your presentation they do was you feel.
> I was thinking more around the long time analysis/monitoring/alerting
> type of apps as opposed to the tools you mention (aren't they more for
> network diagnostics when you already know you have a problem?) but I
> will see if I can mention in the talk so as to give an idea where they
> would fit in, that is if people feel it is appropriate.

You're giving the talk, it is up to you.  If you want to look a just
long terms monitoring tools rather than diagnostic tools then that is
fine.  It is your talk you decide what the content is.

> In general how long should the talks be?  Marks' was about 1/2 hour
> wasn't it, is that the average length?

I think that 1/2 hour is a good time to aim for.  I'm not sure what the
average is, I don't time them.