[Sussex] Setting up a simple home network

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Sat Apr 30 08:08:32 UTC 2005

Greetings,

OK, so I got the switch and the proper cables, and I've
plugged my two Slackware 10.1 boxes into it - now what.
I've been trying to get the two machines to talk to each
other but so far failing miserably, why?  Here's what I've
done so far:

I have currently two machines on the network (but once it's
up and running I plan to add two or three more), the faster
one which will eventually be the server is called
templeofthebeard while the slower one is called
shrineofthebeard.  The network itself, for want of a better
term, is called homenet.  Neither of these is yet connected
to the Internet so until I get them going my connection is
via <cringe> an Win XP laptop </cringe>.  I've created a
directory called /home/public on templeofthebeard (the
server) which had global read and write privileges which I
want shrineofthebeard (the client) to be able to access.
The /etc/hosts on both machines looks like this (minus
commented lines):

127.0.0.1           localhost

192.168.0.1    shrineofthebeard.homenet shrineofthebeard
192.168.0.2    shrineofthebeard.homenet shrineofthebeard

I've run "netconfig" on both machines and given them the
data listed above and also told it that there are both
connected via static IP, the netmask is 255.255.255.0
(though I have no idea what this actually means) have no
gateway address, and are not using a nameserver.  Then I ran
  "ifconfig" on both machines.  The client reported this for
eth0:

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:6E:36:DE:94
inet addr:127.0.0.11  BCast:127.0.0.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10  Base address:0xda00

As well as an entry for lo.  Note that the inet
addr:127.0.0.11 comes from an earlier attempt to get the
machines configured when I tried to call them 127.0.0.10 and
127.0.0.11 before discovering that they should be numbered
192.168....  On the server the output is very similar except
that the line starting "inet addr:" is missing and TX bytes
is given the figure of 1180.  Does this mean anything in
particular?  Other than that this seems to mean that the
hardware is running and configured and as all the relevant
lights show up on the switch I *assume* this means that the
hardware is configured correctly.  Now what?

Up to now my main info source has been "The Official Guide
To Slackware Linux" at http://www.slackware.com/book/.  Any
other books and HOW-TO's I found were all either
distro-specific or assumed I was connecting my computer to
the Internet, which I will be but not yet.  So now we're up
to the section "The /etc files" in chapter 5.  I changed
/etc/hosts as listed above /etc/inetd.conf,
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 didn't seem like
they needed any configuration so I left them as the default
while /etc/resolv.conf now looks like this on both machines:

search homenet
domain homenet

So the next chapter told me I needed to have the services
portmap, nfsd, and mountd running on the server.  I tried
"ps -A" and did not find any such entries and typing the
names directly into bash gave me a "command not found"
error.  So after a brief search with the locate command I
found and ran rpc.portmap, rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd so they
do now appear in the list when i type "ps -A".  I'm
*assuming* that these are the equivalent files.  Next I
added the following line /etc/exports:

/home/public

which is the directory with global read/write privileges on
the server.  At this point in the manual the mount command
is used, so presumably everything should be configured
correctly and fully set-up.  Granted, most of what I've done
so far is "paint-by-numbers" style without really
understanding what I'm doing with some "I hope this works"
guesses thrown in for good measure.  Let's see how far I
get.  I then created a directory /home/public on the client
machine and typed "mount -t
templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public".  The
result:

mount: can't get address for templeofthebeard.homenet

And this is where I've been stuck since.  Note that I've
been through this whole sequence several times and have done
numerous searches through websites and various books to find
ut what's wrong but most of the time they assume that your
trying to set your computer up as a gateway or web-server
and the "Home-Network-mini-HOWTO" is Red Hat specific - I
got as far as being told to edit the file
/etc/sysconfig/network, found there was no such directory on
my machines and stopped right there.  I also tried "ping
192.168.0.1" and "ping 192.168.0.2" on both machines and got
"connect: Network is unreachable", this is as far as I got
on the "Newbie's Guide to Small Home LAN" from
LinuxQuestions.org.  Help, I've run out of ideas.  Sorry if
this posting is a bit long but I wanted to be sure I
included all the relevant data and I don't know enough about
networks to tell what's relevant and what isn't.  So please,
apart from being a clueless idiot, what am I doing wrong?

Captain Redbeard

  The MS Staff

There was a pilot flying a small single engine charter
plane, with a couple of very important executives on board.
He was coming into Seattle airport through thick fog with
less than 10m visibility when his instruments went out. So
he began circling around looking for landmark. After an hour
or so, he starts running pretty low on fuel and the
passengers are getting very nervous. Finally, a small
opening in the fog appears and he sees a tall building with
one guy working alone on the fifth floor. The pilot banks
the plane around, rolls down the window and shouts to the
guy "Hey! Where am I?" To this, the solitary office worker
replies "You're in a plane." The pilot rolls up the window,
executes a 180 degree turn and proceeds to execute a perfect
blind landing on the runway of the airport 5 miles away.
Just as the plane stops, so does the engine as the fuel has
run out.

The passengers are amazed and one asks how he did it.
"Simple" replies the pilot, "I asked the guy in that
building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100
percent correct but absolutely useless, therefore that must
be Microsoft's support office and from there the airport is
just a while away."