[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

Alan Delaney black.rebel at virgin.net
Sat Apr 30 11:34:31 UTC 2005

OK, quick update.

My /etc/exports file now reads:

/home/public/ shrineofthebeard.homenet(rw)

And /etc/hosts.allow now reads:

shrineofthebeard.homenet

(this one is a complete guess!).  Now when I type "mount -t
templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public" on the
client I get

mount: templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public failed, reason
given by server: Permission denied

Which is better than what I got before but not there yet.
/home/pubic does have global read/write permissions so I
don't know why the server would deny permission.  Perhaps I
need to tell something that I've altered the /etc/exports or
/etc/hosts.allow files?  I tried restarting rpc.mountd and
rpc.nfsd (again a complete guess) but no joy and the man
page for exports doesn't specify if any daemons need to be
restarted if the file is modified.

Captain Redbeard

Linux user number 388693.
v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6g5+3
RHaIr9 Hackerkey.com