[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Apr 30 12:15:47 UTC 2005

Alan

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 12:33 +0100, Alan Delaney wrote:
> OK, quick update.
>
> My /etc/exports file now reads:
>

> /home/public/ shrineofthebeard.homenet(rw)
>

> And /etc/hosts.allow now reads:
>

> shrineofthebeard.homenet
>

> (this one is a complete guess!).  Now when I type "mount -t
> templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public" on the
> client I get
>

> mount: templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public failed, reason
> given by server: Permission denied

Are you doing NFS sharing (on the server) as a NFS process or as part of
the kernel?  If you're doing in in the kernal good luck, if you're doing
it as a process is the "nfsd" command running on the server?

I noticed that John C said that by default NFS was disabled on slackware
(a good default).  So have you enabled it on the server?