[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Sat Apr 30 12:22:36 UTC 2005

 >John Crowhurst wrote:
 >
 >Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 on Machine 1 to read:...

I'll have to assume that you made a slight error here.
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is a script file but the lines you told
me to enter looked more like a config file.
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf is probably what you meant.  This
has been altered as you stated though the syntax of the
default file was IPADDR[0]=...  Does it make a difference
without the "[0]" if there is only one NIC?

 >Then you can type:
 >
 >/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

Done.

 >You need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 to get NFS working, as
 >the services
 >are commented out by default, remove the # from the
 >beginning of these
 >lines to start NFS:...

The lines you mentioned do not exist on my system, however
there is a similar entry to start /etc/rc.d/rc.portmap which
is another script file that starts the binary file
/sbin/rpc/portmap.  This was already uncommented by default,
as were the rc.nfsd line and the mount commands so I didn't
need to change these.

I then added the following line to /etc/fstab on the client:

templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public nfs
defaults 0 0

And for good measure ran "/etc/rc.d/rd.inet2" on both
machines.  It ran OK on the server but the client warned me
that rc.portmap was not executable!  I had to make this file
executable and re-ran "/etc/rc.d/rd.inet2" but now it's
telling me:

mount: templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public failed, reason
given by server: Permission denied

i.e. all that work for nothing.  Now what?

Sorry for being such a nuisance, I really do appreciate all
your help.  This is one reason of the main reasons why I
choose Linux.

Captain Redbeard

Linux user number 388693.
v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6g5+3
RHaIr9 Hackerkey.com