[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sat Apr 30 13:10:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, April 30, 2005 13:21, Captain Redbeard said:
>  >John Crowhurst wrote:
>  >
>  >Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 on Machine 1 to read:...
>
> I'll have to assume that you made a slight error here.
> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is a script file but the lines you told
> me to enter looked more like a config file.

Hmm, looks like they've changed it from Slackware 10.0, as mine still has
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 (which is a script)

> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf is probably what you meant.  This
> has been altered as you stated though the syntax of the
> default file was IPADDR[0]=...  Does it make a difference
> without the "[0]" if there is only one NIC?

That should be fine, you should see the changes when you type ifconfig.

> The lines you mentioned do not exist on my system, however
> there is a similar entry to start /etc/rc.d/rc.portmap which
> is another script file that starts the binary file
> /sbin/rpc/portmap.  This was already uncommented by default,
> as were the rc.nfsd line and the mount commands so I didn't
> need to change these.

I suspect there has been quite a few changes in the /etc/rc.d since I
built my machine, so I'm playing by ear.

> I then added the following line to /etc/fstab on the client:
>

> templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public nfs
> defaults 0 0

Make sure the mount point exists on the client, its just a directory.

> And for good measure ran "/etc/rc.d/rd.inet2" on both
> machines.  It ran OK on the server but the client warned me
> that rc.portmap was not executable!  I had to make this file
> executable and re-ran "/etc/rc.d/rd.inet2" but now it's
> telling me:

ok chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.portmap should fix that.

> mount: templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public failed, reason
> given by server: Permission denied

The NFSd on the sharing machine doesn't allow you to perform the
operation, perhaps you've not restarted the service after making a change
to the /etc/exports, or the setting is too restrictive.

Look at the /etc/exports file on the sharing machine, I see you have:
/home/public 192.168.0.1/255/255/255.0(sync)
*(sync,no_subtree_check,rw)

It looks like the setting you have doesn't allow the connecting machine to
even have readonly access. You could try changing it to:

/home/public (sync,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

So that all machines gain read/write access, and that the root's files
keep their root ownership across machines.

> i.e. all that work for nothing.  Now what?

Well, you are getting somewhere, albeit slowly.

--
John