[Sussex] The first of the Debian based confusion(s)

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 20:33:49 UTC 2005

Well, as you'll all note from the title, I've obviously managed to get
the knoppix installed to my HDD and have been digging round to try and
get it so that it will become "proper" Debian.

So, having tried to follow the instructions that Thomas posted, I've
tried to mod the apt-sources.list, without much luck.

I'm quite happy to dump the knoppix one, but what exactly do I need to
replace the info with. The knoppix one reflects german located testing
sources - which seem to be working fine(ish). I can't suss out whether I
just need to show it something like this?

# Testing
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main
contrib non-free

# Testing Sources
#deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main
contrib non-free

or does it need to have a security source as well? or maybe is it just
like the top part i.e. just a deb listing, or does it need a deb-src
listing as well?

do I need to have something for stable, unstable and testing to get the
testing? or just a testing listing ??

Erm yes, I'm a bit confused about that (gentoos portage was a little
easier on the grey matter from that point of view)!

Could someone point me in the right direction please ???

regards

John D.

p.s. Another anomally, is that "it" won't allow me to log in as root
graphically - I can su and su- but not graphically. Any ideas why or
where I'd look to change it ?