[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sat Apr 30 21:05:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, April 30, 2005 15:48, Captain Redbeard said:
> I assume simply typing "rpc.nfsd" restarts it or do I need
> to send a message to the daemon?

I think you may have to kill off the daemon, and then restart it.

>  > ...or the setting is too restrictive.
>
> How do I check what the settings are?  There doesn't seem to
> be a nfsd.conf file or equivalent.

These are defined in your /etc/exports file.

> ...part of this was due to mistyping one of the options in
> /etc/exports so after some experimentation and several
> reboots I and finally came to the conclusion that the this
> was the most appropriate entry for /etc/exports:
>

> /home/public shrineofthebeard.homenet
> (sync,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)
>

> (Quick recap: templeofthebeard.homenet, 192.168.0.1, is the
> server, the one I'm doing all this work on right now,
> shrineofthebeard.homenet, 192.168.0.2, is the client)
>
> Now the output above has become:
>

> .
> .
> .
> \Starting NFS services:
> \  /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
> \exportfs: shrineofthebeard.homenet has non-inet addr
> \exportfs: shrineofthebeard.homenet has non-inet addr
> \  /usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad
> \  /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
> \  /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
> \  /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
> \  /usr/sbin/rpc.statd
> .
> .
> .

In your /etc/hosts file, do you have the lines:

192.168.0.1 templeofthebeard.homenet templeofthebeard
192.168.0.2 shrineofthebeard.homenet shrineofthebeard

As it appears that NFS can't resolve the name shrineofthebeard.homenet

Is portmap running? Can you see it with:

ps auxwww|grep portmap

> ...which is better.  Now I went back to the client machine
> to see if anything had changed and typed "mount -t nfs
> templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public" and got:
>

> mount: templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public failed, reason
> given by server: Permission denied

I'm wondering if its the error from exportfs that could be stopping this.

--
John