[Sussex] MP3 recoding

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 2 11:49:48 UTC 2005

On Sunday 31 July 2005 13:42, John Crowhurst wrote:
> On Sun, July 31, 2005 13:23, Dave Chapman said:
> > Does anyone know of an easy way of recoding mp3's to a lower bitrate.
> > My boy has just got himself a new phone with a 64Mb memory card and wants
> > put some mp3's onit.
> >  Most of the mp3's we have are 128kbps so if we recode them as say 64kbps
> > he
> > will get more on and the quality would be fine for a phone.
>
> You could try lame:
>
> lame --decode filename.mp3 filename.wav
> lame -b 64 filename.wav filename-64.mp3

That works.
> Or for every file in a directory:
>
> for i in *.mp3; do
>   lame --decode $i.mp3 temp.wav
>   lame -b 64 temp.wav $i-64.mp3
>   rm -f temp.wav
> done

This didn't
"cant find filename.mp3.mp3"
> --
> John

But I have been poking around Amarok 1.3b and one of it's features is a script
manager

Tools > Script Manager > Get More Scripts

Get the Audio Format Converter and it will convert you current play list into
many different formats and quality presets or set you own ,my choice being
"-b 64"

There's a "Transfer to media device" script as well.

All in all a very able application.
Hope others find it usefull.

Dave