[Sussex] MP3 recoding

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Tue Aug 2 12:23:27 UTC 2005

Dave Chapman wrote:

>On Sunday 31 July 2005 13:42, John Crowhurst wrote:
>

>>On Sun, July 31, 2005 13:23, Dave Chapman said:
>>

>>>Does anyone know of an easy way of recoding mp3's to a lower bitrate.
>>>My boy has just got himself a new phone with a 64Mb memory card and wants
>>>put some mp3's onit.
>>> Most of the mp3's we have are 128kbps so if we recode them as say 64kbps
>>>he
>>>will get more on and the quality would be fine for a phone.
>>>

>>You could try lame:
>>
>>lame --decode filename.mp3 filename.wav
>>lame -b 64 filename.wav filename-64.mp3
>>

>That works.
>

>>Or for every file in a directory:
>>
>>for i in *.mp3; do
>>  lame --decode $i.mp3 temp.wav
>>  lame -b 64 temp.wav $i-64.mp3
>>  rm -f temp.wav
>>done
>>

>This didn't
>"cant find filename.mp3.mp3"

This script is wrong.  It should be:

for i in *.mp3; do
  lame --decode $i temp.wav
  lame -b 64 temp.wav $i-64.mp3
  rm -f temp.wav
done

Regards Paul.

>>--
>>John
>>

>But I have been poking around Amarok 1.3b and one of it's features is a script
>manager
>
>Tools > Script Manager > Get More Scripts
>
>Get the Audio Format Converter and it will convert you current play list into
>many different formats and quality presets or set you own ,my choice being
>"-b 64"
>
>There's a "Transfer to media device" script as well.
>
>All in all a very able application.
>Hope others find it usefull.
>
>Dave

*/Paul Turner/*
Applications Team Leader
*Rentokil Initial* Corporate IT

EMail: pturner at rentokil.com DDI: +44 (0) 1342 332 677 Telephone: +44 (0)
1342 327 171 Fax: +44 (0) 1342 332 551

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete
the message from your system immediately.