[Sussex] MP3 recoding

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 13:17:35 UTC 2005

Dave Chapman wrote:
> On Sunday 31 July 2005 13:42, John Crowhurst wrote:
>
>> On Sun, July 31, 2005 13:23, Dave Chapman said:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of an easy way of recoding mp3's to a lower bitrate.
>>> My boy has just got himself a new phone with a 64Mb memory card and wants
>>> put some mp3's onit.
>>>  Most of the mp3's we have are 128kbps so if we recode them as say 64kbps
>>> he
>>> will get more on and the quality would be fine for a phone.
>>>
>> You could try lame:
>>
>> lame --decode filename.mp3 filename.wav
>> lame -b 64 filename.wav filename-64.mp3
>>

> That works.
>
>> Or for every file in a directory:
>>
>> for i in *.mp3; do
>>   lame --decode $i.mp3 temp.wav
>>   lame -b 64 temp.wav $i-64.mp3
>>   rm -f temp.wav
>> done
>>

> This didn't
> "cant find filename.mp3.mp3"
>
>> --
>> John
>>

> But I have been poking around Amarok 1.3b and one of it's features is a script
> manager
>
> Tools > Script Manager > Get More Scripts
>
> Get the Audio Format Converter and it will convert you current play list into
> many different formats and quality presets or set you own ,my choice being
> "-b 64"
>
> There's a "Transfer to media device" script as well.
>
> All in all a very able application.
> Hope others find it usefull.
Dave,

Just for info, theres a thing in this weeks webuser about "how many
tracks in how much space". Plus I appreciate that your boy mightn't be
so discerning, but the editorial reply said words to the effect, that
any rips below 96 kbps will sound awful, so you might want to check with
"junior" as to whether he wants less tracks and better sound or crap
sound and more tracks - I suppose that you can always teach him to rip
and encode his own stuff, that way it's his choice.

That way, you'll only get "tapped" for a decent device, IF he gets into
it, depending on the device

"Dad, Dad, can I have one of those 100 gig nokia sony walkman phone
cameras - it's got enough room to record an entire 60's back catalogue,
cos I've just met this girl who's a bit of a hippy chick type, but she's
got big ....................! and it's only 3 grand, bargain!"

You know what I mean, you know it's coming, one way or another ;-P

regards

John D.