[Sussex] hardware question about DVDR/DVDRW

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 6 12:23:32 UTC 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 12:44, John D. wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> My Aunt (the same one who had the snags I asked about earlier this year)
> has got herself a new PC, so she's given me the old one.
>
> The only things that are worth using are the DVDR/RW and network card.
> So I've put the DVDR/RW drive into my "box".
>
> The SuSE 9.3 seems to be seeing the device OK (I think anyway, as it is
> showing up in the YaST hardware information facility). So apart from
> making sure that any burning
> software has DVDR/RW support, is there anything else I need to do to
> check that it'll work OK (it's only about 6 to 8 months old)???
>
> I can't check it with just a music CD as my sound card only has the one
> audio lead, which is connected to the CDRW in my machine, and as I
> understand it, that negates trying it
> that way. Or unless anyone knows of any media player apps that are now
> capable of picking up the sound in a similar way to windows or in some
> other method?
>
> regards
>
> John D.

In a konsole
john at johnsbox >cat /etc/fstab

You will get a print out.  2 lines of which should be

/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/cdrecorder1      /media/cdrecorder    subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

	(/dev/cdrecorder1 being the dvdrw)
If you have not got /dev/cdrecorder1 the gui way to add it is with
YaST2>Hardware>CDrom Drives