[Sussex] NTL broadband speed up

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 10:57:55 UTC 2005

Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:13:06AM +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
>
>>Andrew Guard wrote:
>>
>>>Cable firm NTL has upped the basic speeds of its broadband offering from
>>>an entry level of 3Mbps to 10Mbps.
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4749987.stm
>>>Now we are talking, but no word on upload and bandwidth limits.
>>>PS Cable modems can work upto 100Mbs ADSL2 can only do up to 24MBps.
>>
>>But Cable and ADSL are two very different technologies, and cannot be
>>compared in the same way.
>

>>Remember - your internet connection speed isn't just limited to the
>>speed you're talking to the 'other end' of the connection (DSLAM in the
>>case of ADSL, UBR in the case of Cable).
>

> It's all good though even if it's just headline figures.  BT might start
> pushing forward faster with ADSL2 plans etc.

Oh, definatley :)

As soon as BT sort out the ADSL network, I'll be getting a faster
connection :)

> Otherwise I'll just have to go live in France (http://adsl.free.fr).

A mate of mine has that, and he says it's BLISTERINGLY fast. The set top
boxes run VideoLan server, and they supply a rebranded VLC to play the
downloaded programs. Full QoS on the link for VoD and VoIP - it's
ultraquick.

I hate him for it ;)

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169