[Sussex] FTP - Fedora core 3

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 14:56:24 UTC 2005

Adam J Purcell wrote:
> I believe vsftpd is the prepackaged FTP server that comes with Fedora
> 3 (certainly does with 4 an the much older RH 9).
>
> In that case you should be able to install it with (as root):
>
> yum install vsftpd
>
> Then you just need to start it up:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd start

The 'correct' method is 'service vsftpd start' and then to ensure it
starts at boot time, use 'chkconfig --levels 234 vsftpd on'.

> Plus you need to make sure your firewall isn't blocking it.  Assuming
> your using the default iptables this will show your firewall rules:
>
> /sbin/iptables --list
[SNIP]

This can all easily be managed through system-config-securitylevel
(possibly redhat-config-security or redhat-config-securitylevel on FC3 -
I forget). This will allow you to tick a little box marked 'FTP' and
enable it through your firewall.

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169