[Sussex] A nice Debian day

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Aug 16 23:23:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:37:39 +0100
Anthony Rangecroft <ar at f2s.com> wrote:

> Gavin wrote:
> >After the 2 learning installations, I now have a good, if familiar,
> >set-up with straight X & Icewm, topped off with dfm as a file manager
> >& desktop manager. I intend to try rox-filer & idesk at some point
> >soon, just for a change.
>
> <lurker hint> a comparo would make a great demo during your planned
> "non-techie" talk <resume lurk>

Hi Anthony,

Do you mean a comparison between the file managers?

(Quick comparison: rox-filer looks absolutely gorgeous but I haven't
worked it out yet. dfm looks very scruffy if you're not used to it, but
it soon became my file manager of choice. I find it very easy to use).

I shall very soon be gathering ideas for the talk, although my initial
plan is to offer basic hints & tips for a successful installation of a
GNU/Linux system, along with some pointers for everyday use.

However, I very much want the presentation to be *useful*, so I am
keeping my thoughts fairly open at this stage & welcome any
thoughts/wishes/requests.

Gavin.