[Sussex] Gentoo Network Problems

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 10:41:04 UTC 2005

Stephen Williams wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 05:16 +0100, John D. wrote:
>

>>Hi list,
>>
>>I was following the instructions to do a stage 3 install without a
>>network connection, as I wanted to initially use the binary GRP packages
>>from "disc 2".
>>
>>The problem is that some of my efforts to get stuff installed from the
>>second disc are throwing up "Temporary loss of name resolution" type
>>errors. Why that should be is a complete mystery. The packages are
>>supposed to be on the disc!
>>

>If you're doing an install using the Universal Install CD and installing
>packages from the packages CD (also known as a GRP install), you need to
>follow this link on how to set up the 2nd CD:
>
>http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=11#doc_chap2
>
>I suspect The name resolution problem occurs because there are internet
>repositories listed in your /etc/make.conf file. Look for something
>like:
>
>GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://
>
>in your /etc/make.conf file. Comment this line out.
>
>If you are going to be doing a lot of installing of packages from the
>packages disk, you might edit the line beginning:
>

>#PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
>
>to look like:
>
>PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/packages"
>
>So when you run emerge --usepkg, portage should look in these locations
>for your binary packages.
>
>Remember you'll need to mount your CD-ROM first.

Ok Steve I'll go and check that.

I was wondering if it was because I was using incorrect "terminology"
i.e. like since they had to change the kde stuff because of kde now
being a "meta" package.

Because the system seemed to get gnome from the packages CD fine with
just "emerge --usepkg gnome", plus just doing the stuff as laid down in
the install handbook for "finalising" (gettng firefox and thunderbird).

At the moment, it seems to be getting the kde stuff after I did " emerge
--usepkg kde-base" (all 275 packages worth - phew).

I suppose that once I can get the kde, gnome and office stuff, if I then
try to do the update (post checking the make.conf) it will be coffee
time in a mega way as it updated.

I'll post back with a progress report.

Many thanks

regards