[Sussex] Gentoo Network Problems

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 12:02:49 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

>> Stephen Williams wrote:

>>> If you're doing an install using the Universal Install CD and
>>> installing
>>> packages from the packages CD (also known as a GRP install), you
>>> need to
>>> follow this link on how to set up the 2nd CD:
>>>
>>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=11#doc_chap2
>>>

>>> I suspect The name resolution problem occurs because there are internet
>>> repositories listed in your /etc/make.conf file. Look for something
>>> like:
>>>
>>> GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://
>>>
>>> in your /etc/make.conf file. Comment this line out.
>>>
>>> If you are going to be doing a lot of installing of packages from the
>>> packages disk, you might edit the line beginning:
>>>

>>> #PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
>>>
>>> to look like:
>>>
>>> PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/packages"
>>>
>>> So when you run emerge --usepkg, portage should look in these locations
>>> for your binary packages.
>>>
>>> Remember you'll need to mount your CD-ROM first.
>>>
>> Ok Steve I'll go and check that.
>>
>> I was wondering if it was because I was using incorrect "terminology"
>> i.e. like since they had to change the kde stuff because of kde now
>> being a "meta" package.
>>
>> Because the system seemed to get gnome from the packages CD fine with
>> just "emerge --usepkg gnome", plus just doing the stuff as laid down
>> in the install handbook for "finalising" (gettng firefox and
>> thunderbird).
>>
>> At the moment, it seems to be getting the kde stuff after I did "
>> emerge --usepkg kde-base" (all 275 packages worth - phew).
>>
>> I suppose that once I can get the kde, gnome and office stuff, if I
>> then try to do the update (post checking the make.conf) it will be
>> coffee time in a mega way as it updated.
>>
>> I'll post back with a progress report.
>

> Further to the above, I still can't get too "outside" addresses/URL's.
> the "GENTOO_MIRRORS" thing that you mentioned isn't present in the
> /etc/make.conf just the basic universal compile options - the only bit
> I added was the "MAKEOPTS="-j2" for single processors.
>
> I can ping my other network connections i.e. Clares laptop and the
> laser printer, but as soon as I try to get anything outside, I just
> get the "ping: unknown host etc etc" error.
>
> I have my ISPs nameserver listed in the /etc/resolv.conf so I can't
> see why it won't see any external addresses - I can see the module for
> my network card listed if I do lsmod, as already mentioned the
> /etc/resolv.conf and trying ping, so now it seems a big ????? because
> I should have started the emerge --sync by now, but it won't let me ??

I think I got it i.e. the only common denominator seemed to be the
/etc/resolv.conf so after deleting it and then re-writing it, the system
is now doing the "emerge sync".

Still not sure what the problem was, because I double checked for typo's
etc, and had just followed the handbook instructions.

regards

John D.