[Sussex] Re: Linux job opportunities

Alan Delaney hairy.one at virgin.net
Wed Aug 24 18:58:04 UTC 2005

 > Geoffrey Teale wrote:
 > I think you'd be far better off taking _any_ sys-admin
> job and  getting some experience rather than spending
 > cash out on a course.

I do agree totally that experience is far superior to study,
unfortunately how do you get that experience in the first place?  The
problem I'm running into is that I have no formal qualifications in
system administration and no work experience and though I have quite a
bit of amateur experience from running my own home network and have a
fair grasp of the basics, it's not the same as working in a production
environment.  I can and have taken a computer from loose spare parts to
a functioning PHP-enabled web server in an afternoon but it's difficult
to convince potential employers of this.  There are a number of
companies that I'm in touch with at the moment that offer MCSA and/or
MCSE with a guaranteed job at the end and, while this is better than
nothing, I was kind of hoping someone would know of any similar schemes
for Linux training.  As it looks at the moment though is that I'll opt
for one of the above schemes just to get *somewhere* (and if if works
out I give it a month before I start to smuggle in a few Slackware
servers ;) ).

Thanks a lot for the advice all the same.

--
Alan Delaney

Registered Linux user: 388693.
Registered Linux machines: 289172, 289173, 296291, 296293, 296294,
   296869. (counter.li.org)
Geek score: 34.714% - Total Geek (www.innergeek.us)
Hacker key:
   v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6g5+3RHaIr9
   (www.hackerkey.com)