[Sussex] Laptop choice

Frances Fleming fay at uthink.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 23:29:42 UTC 2005

On Wed Aug 24 13:03:54 BST 2005, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> I'm after a light, compact notebook style laptop, that I can carry
about all
> over the place without needing muscles like Arnie.  Battery life doesn't
> have to be great. Good screen is important (15 inch or larger).

September's Linux Magazine (issue 58) features an article called
"Designed to Fit", about how HP has teamed with Ubunto Linux to
produce a series of Ubunto-friendly portable PCs. Ubunto are even
working on a special, customized version of their operating system
to support these HP notebooks. Ubunto say the customized version
supports "nearly 100%" of the hardware for HP's NC6120, NC6110,
NC6220 and NC4200 portables, although a few features, such as the
SD-card reader, aren't supported yet. You'll find more on Ubunto's HP
notebook support, as well as information on the customized version of
Ubunto, at http://www.ubuntolinux.org/support/custom/hplaptops.
The article featured the NC4200, with a weight of 1.8kg, however this
only has a 12.1" screen, so not what you're looking for, and although
the American version apparently has a swivel screen, the European
version doesn't.