[Sussex] Laptop choice

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Aug 25 11:50:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 01:03:32PM -0000, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> I'm after a light, compact notebook style laptop, that I can carry about all
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> over the place without needing muscles like Arnie.  Battery life doesn't
> have to be great. Good screen is important (15 inch or larger).  It also
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> needs to be pretty durable as I'm a clumsy oaf and tend to throw my laptop
> bag around more than is strictly necessary!?!?!!

Those are conflicting goals in my book.

I've a Sharp MM-1110 which PC World are the sole distributor of in the
UK.

950g, 2 and a half hours battery life, 10.4" screen, 15Gb disk, 256MB
RAM, 1Ghz Crusoe (this is really quite slow though), 2 lots of USB2
ports, on board ethernet and wifi and a PCMCIA slot I never use.

I carry a USB <-> serial adaptor with me and then it's great for
trekking to Docklands and fiddling with servers/switches/masterswitches
and other rack kit but I'd buy something with a little more power/RAM
next time I think.

Simon.

--
 -+//             But what if Sarris survives? - Mathesar              \\+-
-+<<       Oh, I don't think so. I gave him both barrels. - Jason       >>+-