[Sussex] Laptop choice

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 09:42:39 UTC 2005

Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:

> Historically IBM would have been an excellent choice, I have an R40
> which has been robust, compatible and well supported.
> Unfortunately IBM has sold it's Thinkpad business to a Chinese company
> (Lenova) and I cannot vouch for anything about the new machines.

I can! My main machine for work was, until Monday, an IBM Thinkpad X31 -
incredibly small and portable, with a decent spec.

Quick Overview:

12.1in Screen (or thereabouts, 1024x768 only tho)
Intel Pentium M 1.7Ghz
Intel ipw2100 Wireless (802.11b)
40Gb HDD
512Mb RAM
Built in Ethernet/Modem
Sound, USB2, etc...

It's all supported under Linux without any hassle at all (except I had
to compile the SLmodem winmodem driver, but that took me all of 10
minutes, and I have a spangly new RPM for it so upgrades are easy as poo).

I've just upgraded to (read: stolen from someone else) an brand spanking
new IBM X32 - exactly the same machine with the ipw2200 wireless
(802.11b/g), 1024Mb RAM (not sure if that's standard) and a 1.8Ghz
processor.

If you get one, make sure you get the 'Ultrabase' as this includes the
DVD-ROM/CD-Writer - the lappy itself doesn't include an optical drive.
There's no floppy drive to be found, but I think the ultrabase takes one.

Without the base, the system is ultra portable - I get about 3/4 hours
battery life from it. With the base, it's very portable.

My next personal laptop purchase will be an IBM X series. They're not
the cheapest on the market, but they do feel like you could drop them
out of a 3rd storey window and it'd survive. Easily one of the best
laptops I've ever used - the keyboard is AMAZING! :)

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
 Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169