[Sussex] Hardware Raid Question

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 27 23:46:17 UTC 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 00:14, Steve Dobson wrote:
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 06:46:26PM +0100, Dave Chapman wrote:
> > >
> > > That depends upon what you want to do.  There is no single answer that
> > > is best for everyone.

> > > That would give you a single large partition.  You should get good
> > > speed performance as the data is spread over both disks equally, but
> > > should *one* disk die then *all* data is lost.
> > >
> > > Mirroring should give slower write times (the data as to be written to
> > > *both* disks), but reads can be quicker than stripping, as a read
> > > request can be made of *both* disks but only has to wait for *one* disk
> > > to complete.
> >
> > In this case would 1 disk per channel help performance as opposed to both
> > disks on 1 channel
>
> It is probably best to put the disks on separate channels to spread the
> load.  But see below.  But I forgot to say last time that mirroring,
> because the same info is written to both disks does not maximum storages,
> both disks have identical copies of the data.

> > > That depends up the use your system is doing.  If the majority of data
> > > accesses is the the / partition then that is where you want your
> > > fastest disks.  However, if most of the data is going to /home (because
> > > you're editing video for example) then that would be were I place the
> > > disks.
> >
> > /home usually has data for storage rather than manipulation.
OOpsy
My /home usually has a lot of data for storage rather than manipulation.

Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used          Available Use%  Mounted on
/dev/sda1       17775324     8047700     9727624  46%    /home
/dev/sdb1       17919896     15600092   2319804  88%    /home/dave

Maybe I should just have a clear out.