[Sussex] Linux dual boot

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 13:29:11 UTC 2005

Alan Pope wrote:

>On 31/08/05, Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:
>

>>A while ago, I set up a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot on my partner's PC.
>>This was fairly easy to do & worked first time.
>>

>Most modern Linux distros can cope with being installed side-by-side
>with something else, which is good news for dual-booters.
>

>>On my own second PC, I decided to try a dual boot of Debian Sarge &
>>CentOS 4.1. Perhaps naively, I thought it would be relatively easy to
>>achieve. This has not been the case: I made a partition for CentOS when
>>I installed Sarge. The CentOS partition had a mount point of "/centos",
>>but CentOS was not impressed with this when I came to install it. It
>>said it needed a "/" directory in order to know where to install itself.
>>

>Right, that's where you went wrong. A disk can be carved up into
>partitions, up to 4 primary ones (hda1 through hda4 for example on the
>primary master IDE disk) and some extended ones (usually starting at
>hda5 for primary master IDE disk). What you put in them is up to you,
>but if you want multiple Linux distros that's going to be a minimum
>requirement - multiple partitions.
>
>Once the disk is carved up (not forgetting some space set aside for
>swap) using whatever disk partitioning tool you choose - cfdisk,
>fdisk, parted, disk druid or whatever, you then need to choose what
>mount points are going to go *in* those partitions. For the absolutely
>simplest of installations of Linux you can get away with "/" - the
>root mount point being one partition - say /dev/hda1 for example, and
>the swap being maybe /dev/hda5.
>
>You could get more fancy and have separate paritions setup for mount
>points such as one for /home, one for /var, another for /usr and a
>further one for /boot, all in addition to the one you already created
>for /. You don't have to do this, and for the beginner it can be
>easier to just have one partition for / and be done with it. I'm
>guessing this install you're doing wont be a long term solution, but
>will be a play thing, so you could install multiple times using
>different partitioning setups.
>
>The crucial thing to note is that one linux distro will need a /, and
>so will another that you install. So  you could for example create
>/dev/hda1 of 2GB, and /dev/hda2 of 2GB also. One could be / for
>debian, the other could be / for centos. Two separate partitions into
>which the different distros are installed, keeping all their files
>separate. The only bit of disk they'd share would be the swap and the
>boot loader.
>

>>Presently, I have the partitions set up like this:
>>
>>/dev/hda1       /       primary, bootable
>>/dev/hda3       /1      primary
>>[/dev/hda2              extended]
>>/dev/hda5       /home
>>/dev/hda6       swap
>>

>Ok, really the hda3 and hda1 should both be /, there's no such thing
>as /1 really. This is a common mistake made by Windows veterans who
> [...]
I'd add that last time I had multi boot, similar to this, it was
windows/mandrake/debian followed by windows/mandrake/gentoo - Steve D.
kindly helped me set up the first version, and I managed to sort the second.

I had it set up as:

/dev/hda1 - /boot
/dev/hda2 - /windows
/dev/hda3 - /swap
/dev/hda4 was extended into->
/dev/hda5 - / (mandrake)
/dev/hda6 - / (debian, then gentoo)
/dev/hda7 - /home

As far as I can recall, I just had to make sure that the /boot knew
where to find the various files i.e. that it had the differing kernels
and initrd etc and that the options were listed in the bootloader (at
the time I was using Lilo). Steve did set up the debian and mandrake so
that both distros would have mounted each other so I could look at
either (from whichever I was logged into), but I screwed that up when I
changed the 3rd OS to gentoo, as at the time I didn't really know what I
was doing (still don't, so theres nothing new there :D).

I made sure that the same apps where installed so that they'd start from
the common /home. It seemed to work well. I can't remember why I changed
it back to a normal dualboot, but thats all history now as I only run
gentoo on this system.

Thats just my tuppence worth. Not that it really matters, because Alan
has explained it in a far superior way that I could have done - well
done that man!

regards

John D.