[Sussex] Free Opera registrations

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Aug 31 16:51:49 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:
> Geoffrey Teale wrote:
>>Steve Dobson wrote:
<snip>
>>>I don't disagree with you but I still think that it comes done to a
>>>personal interpretation of "superior".
>>
>>Obviously, yes this is true, though I'd argue that compared to anything
>>Firefox would still come out as pretty darn good.
>
> Except for its size.  Firefox's footprint suggest bloatware to me.
> Opera, I hear, is smaller and lighter and I does the work perfectly.
> But, yes, Firefoxes freedom credentials are much, much better.

There are still a couple of features in Opera that I really miss in
Firefox. Mainly related to the tabbed browsing and I'm keeping my
fingers cross for a suitably featured extension (I'd write one if I had
the time to a. write it, and b. learn how to write it!). The key
features are:

o undo closing of a tab
o moving tabs around
o and I think I quite like the close on the tab itself, although the
jury is still out on this one!

>>>At the end of the day I think we agree (haven't we both had this
>>>rant before?) that the most importing thing is peoples right to
>>>choose which software they use.
>>
>>Ah, yes, but given that Linux is Free Software, that this is a Linux
>>User Group
>
> No this is a Linux Users' Group - there isn't just you that uses Linux
> on this list :-)

<stir>Being a Linux Users' Group it should be discussing the use of
Linux. This would indicate that any software related to the use of Linux
is fair game whether it is free or non-free. Now if it were the GNU
Users Group (GUG?!) then I would agree.</stir>

<snip>
>>Moreover I stand by the statement that choosing non-free software over
>>free-software when there are no significant advantages to using the
>>non-free software is mind-numbingly stupid.
>
> No!  Here I have to disagree.  I have a very valid reason for taking
> Opera up on their offer.  I like to design web pages that "Work with
> Any Browser".  I'm sure you support that campaign.  Therefore the more
> browsers I can use to test my sites with the more I am likely to design
> my web pages browser neutral.

If that is your reasoning the you can already get Opera for free. They
have a programme to encourage browser neutral websites and if you are
approved they will send you license keys. I already have 3 keys for both
Windows and Linux (and possibly MacOS, but I don't have an OS X machine
so I've not installed them!) for this purpose - the only snag being that
you have to re-apply each time there is a version upgrade. With the new
text based ads I have to say I haven't bothered!

<snip>

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/