[Sussex] Looking for a DNS slave for my new domain

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Dec 7 08:09:51 UTC 2005

Gavin

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:37:08AM +0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Steve,
>
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:46:08 +0000
> Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
>
> > All
> >
> > I've just got myself a personal domain - and not a bad one:
> >         syscall.org.uk
> >
> > Now all I need is a second DNS server so I can control my
> > own DNS settings.  All I require is someone (or someones)
> > to host the DNS slave(s).  I will, of course, return the
> > favour.
>
> > Ta
> > Steve
>
> I have a spare PC if you are interested - yours for the taking.
>
> I'm not sure what you need for this server, but the spare machine is a
> Pentium 200MHz with 64MB EDORAM, a 1.5GB HDD _&_ a Debian badge. This is
> the machine on which I first installed Debian & it's currently
> languishing in the shed, which bothers me, but I don't have a purpose
> for it & I already have another older machine for tinkering.
>
> Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, but what I'm looking for is a DNS server already
configured that will server up the addresses for my domain too, not
hardware to run it on.  The DNS server will need to be running away
from my home.  All domains, from google.com on down, need at least two
DNS servers on separate networks so that network outages don't cause
problems.

From past conversations I know your not on broadband yet (or have
only just signed up).  A permanent connection to the Internet is a
requirement for a DNS server.  So my call was aimed at those SLUGers
that are already running a DNS server.