[Sussex] NTL broadband modem

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Dec 8 17:00:10 UTC 2005

** Dave Chapman <linux-lists at ntlworld.com> [2005-12-08 16:34]:
> Is anybody on the list using an NTL broadband modem ?
>
> I have given my parents a computer, with Linux installed. And I need to get it
> setup for NTL broadband.
> Thing is I have NTL but through the set top box (STB) they have been supplied
> with a modem which has a USB port and an ethernet connection.
> I have told them to use the ethernet connection.
> And the box is set to get a dhcp lease.
>
> Is there anything I need to know about getting the connection authorized ,or
> computer provisioning as they call it.
** end quote [Dave Chapman]

So long as service is enabled you should be able to connect up by simply
setting up the Linux box to use DHCP on the ethernet interface connected
to the box. The IP is assigned to the machine through the cable modem
(as in the cable modem is largely transparent in networking terms). If
you are testing with another box or have problems the usual first course
of action is to switch the modem off for 10 minutes or so to allow the
connection to expire (in particular the log of the mac address of the
connected device).

It used to be the case that the first time you connected you had to go
through a sign up procedure using a web front end iirc, but I can't
remember having done that in a while - and I can't remember the details
if you do :(

OK, now I'm wondering if I've really answered the question or not!!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com