[Sussex] NTL broadband modem

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 8 19:35:21 UTC 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 16:50, Paul Tansom wrote:
> So long as service is enabled you should be able to connect up by simply
> setting up the Linux box to use DHCP on the ethernet interface connected
> to the box. The IP is assigned to the machine through the cable modem
> (as in the cable modem is largely transparent in networking terms). If
> you are testing with another box or have problems the usual first course
> of action is to switch the modem off for 10 minutes or so to allow the
> connection to expire (in particular the log of the mac address of the
> connected device).
>
> It used to be the case that the first time you connected you had to go
> through a sign up procedure using a web front end iirc, but I can't
> remember having done that in a while - and I can't remember the details
> if you do :(
>
> OK, now I'm wondering if I've really answered the question or not!!
Yes you did.

 Colin Tuckley wrote:
> If they had NTL Cable broadband before then nothing needs to be done - not
> even the registering of a new PC to the modem.
>
> If they didn't have it before then they should just be able to fire up a
> browser on the new PC and it should take them to the authorisation system.
My parents have never had an internet connection.

 Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> Depends where your parents live.
Nottingham
They have an STB but have had to have a modem installed apparently "NTL don't
do internet via STB anymore"

Andrew Guard wrote:
> If the install has not told NTL of modem MAC address you will have
> problems.  Just phone NTL 08000522000 to find out and they will be able to
> fix for you then there.
This is what I think needs to be done.

Tom Hinkley wrote:
> IIRC, NTL have to do something there end with the MAC address, (on the
> bottom of the modem on a sticker) then you can use it.
I shall phone my parents and tell them.

Desmond Armstrong wrote:
>Up here Telewest no longer require the MAC notification just switch off
>box and reboot.
>The settop box normally a Pace is capable of delivering max 2meg bits
>and as I mentioned, and for some weird historical reason requires cross
>over.

Straight through from my STB
My old Pace could only manage 1Meg the new Samsung 2Meg prefers talking to a
10bit nic and still needs to register the mac with NTL

Looking at the ntlworld website STB users can not upgrade to 10Meg online.
A hardware upgrade is needed which seems to suggest why modems are the only
choice now.

Thanks everyone
	Dave