[Sussex] NTL broadband modem

Rob Malpass rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 19:44:39 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Desmond Armstrong" <desmond.armstrong at gmail.com>
To: "LUG email list for the Sussex Counties" <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Sussex] NTL broadband modem

> The ethernet connection on the set top box requires a cross over ethernet
> lead but is otherwise normal ethernet.

Not always.   You need to check the back of the STB to see whether a sticker
saying "Crossover required" is present.

When my STB was installed, the first box they tried failed - but required a
crossover adapter.   When they replaced the STB for a working one, they
didn't hang around long enough to see there was no sticker on the back.
When I finally got around to broadband (as opposed to watching us win the
ashes), I got "network cable unplugged" from XP.   Only with the help of one
of those very knowledgable Welsh blokes at ntl did I get up and running.

Those ntl installation engineers (if engineers they be and if ntl they work
for - most sub contract) know nothing.

Cheers
Rob