[Sussex] New distro install (Mandriva 2006) problems - where too start?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 16:55:53 UTC 2005

Hi list,

Having just installed Mandriva 2006, a few unfamiliar things are happening.

On logging in things seem OK, but when I try to start doing something
(installing something for example) the system seems to slow down
dramatically.

Screen redraws seem to become very slow. The cursor becomes "jerky" for
no apparent reason. Multiple apps take forever to change between
windows. Apps behave rather erratically.

Could someone advise me as to where I start looking to cure this?

regards

John D.

p.s. No I haven't changed any hardware, which all seemed to be working
OK before installing.