[Sussex] New distro install (Mandriva 2006) problems - where too start?

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Fri Dec 9 17:04:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:47:38PM +0000, John D. wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Having just installed Mandriva 2006, a few unfamiliar things are
> happening.

What.  You're actually _using_ your computer?  :P

> Screen redraws seem to become very slow. The cursor becomes "jerky"
> for no apparent reason. Multiple apps take forever to change between
> windows. Apps behave rather erratically.

So -- the computer is having to do lots od tasks.   How is this unusual?
What you haven't said is what program you're using  (Is
Man{driva,drake,whatever} still using DraxConf as an interface for this?

> Could someone advise me as to where I start looking to cure this?

top, would be a good program to have running prior to you starting a
task such as this -- at least that way you can see which process is
likely to be slowing things down.

-- Thomas Adam

--
I'm brutal, honest, and afraid of you.