[Sussex] New distro install (Mandriva 2006) problems - where too start?

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 21:43:11 UTC 2005

John,
Please open a terminal window and then type su enter the root password
and then type 'top' and enter.
I have had the same problem but because of the extreme slowness I was
not able to establish the culprit.
Please report back the top cpu hoggers.
You may also go into the uninstall and remove 'kat'. This shows as
'kded' in top.
I suspect the problem is with xorg so I look forward to your findings.
With the machine I did I resorted to Mandriva 2005 and that runs very
well, but, I need to know what the problem is. Some information from you
and I shall retry Mandriva 2006.
Otherwise I am having great success with Mandriva2006
What is your processor speed and how much RAM do you have?
Thanks.