[Sussex] A funny thing happened on the way to the Net

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Thu Dec 15 17:41:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, December 15, 2005 17:00, Ronan Chilvers said:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:23:06 +0000
> Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
>> Of course software performance is a factor, especially on a high hit
>> rate server.  But load balancing would be a much better solution
>> than using new but untested code.
>
> But then, someone, somewhere has to load test new code in a production
> environment otherwise you'd never get reliable / stable version
> anyway...  Don't get me wrong - I'm a debianista through and through
> with several woody machines still running merrily...

Actually, they should go through testing inhouse with a testing suite,
then run a seperate test server in the production environment, employing a
subset of the visitors to the site to be beta testers for that new code.

Once everyone is happy with the new code, then you can post the link to
slashdot ;)

--
John