[Sussex] Samba Problems (yet again).

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 15:07:37 UTC 2005

Hi list,

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I'm (once again) trying to set up samba, so that I can print from Clares
laptop to the printer connected to the main desktop (now using Mandriva
2006).

As far as I can tell, I've set it all up correctly i.e. the same
workgroups, shares etc etc.

On the desktop, theres two icons that give me the option to check
(network browsing and devices). Both have options to check smb:// but
which ever one I try, I'm just getting an error that tells me it can't
find any workgroup on the locan network - I really don't understand why.

The smb.conf looks like this

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = mdkgroup
security = USER
map to guest = Bad User
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
printcap cache time = 750
printcap name = cups
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
logon drive = P:
logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
domain master = No
printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
cups options = raw
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
browseable = No

[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = %H
read only = No
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
store dos attributes = Yes

[users]
comment = All users
path = /home
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
create mask = 0600
printable = Yes
browseable = Yes

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
write list = @ntadmin, root
force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

Of course, there could be something in that lot that I've messed up
with, but for the life of me I don't know what! It does seem that I can
connect to the laptop if I browse to smb://IP ADDRESS of Clares laptop,
but I can't see why I keep getting the error about workgroups

Any assistance is greatfully appreciated.

regards

John D.