[Sussex] Samba Problems (yet again).

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 21:43:16 UTC 2005

Dave Chapman wrote:

>Try changing
>
>security = USER

>security = SHARE
>
>Dave

Ok,

Thats made some difference i.e. I can put smb://workgroup into konqueror
and see the laptop now (get to the files etc which is an improvement on
what it has been).

I'm still getting an error if I try to view anything via the network
browsing or devices options though. Weird.

Plus the linux desktop is still invisible to the laptop, hence I can't
add the printer (the inkjet connected to the linux desktop) or print to it.

Also, as per the howto at Mandrivausers suggested I installed smb4k, but
of course thats useless if it can't see the shares etc.

Damn! I wish someone had written a howto that was vaguely helpful and
actually explain "howto"!

TVM for the suggestion though Dave - at least I can print stuff from the
laptop even if by a somewhat torturous route.

regards

John D.