[Sussex] A Brief Guide to Open-Source

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Wed Dec 21 00:16:51 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 00:01, Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> And that one sentence pretty much epitomises a key difference between
> Geoff and I.
>
> Both of us agree that the term "Open Source" was developed as a
> marketing tool.
>
> However, Geoff considers this "unfortunate". I consider this
> "excellent".

Not quite.  I consider the assumption that the people who are being marketed
to are stupid to be unfortunate.  I understand the desire to make the
software more marketable and support that.  Indeed RMS himself has said as
much many a time.  The greater adoption of free software is a good thing, we
just want to make sure the message about why this stuff is good get's carried
along with the product.

A lot of time and energy gets spent on this kind of discussion, the fact is
we're all broadly heading in the same direction.  I just feel duty bound to
bang on about freedom so that it doesn't get forgotten.  It's the freedom
that delivers the benefit whether you call it "open", "libre" or plain ol'
"free".  Watch out for "shared" though - that one's got a bitter after
taste.  :-)

> I've found the term "Open Source" has a better hit rate for me at
> getting customers to buy than "Free".
>
> I suspect, however, that the term "Free" has a far better hit rate at
> getting developers to "buy into" the concept, and contribute.

Actually I've no idea.  If the develop buys into the concept they'll probably
be aware of  both terms.  The terms matter less than the meaning when we both
know what we're talking about.  Ironically it's mostly people like us, who
are fully aware of what the terms mean, that argue about this stuff.

> As for the rest of Geoff's post - I agree with 90% of what he says.

I won't tempt fate by asking about the other 10%. :-)

--
Geoff Teale
tealeg at member.fsf.org