[Sussex] Windows Media Player 9 and Wine

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Dec 28 18:33:39 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I need to run windows media player under wine.  Before I continue, I'd
like to make the following clear:

1. I am trying to install a bespoke application to which I do not have
access to source code.

2. It is written in C# and therefore uses the .net framework, however I
cannot re-compile using mono because I do not have the source.

3. I _MUST_ use windows media player 9 as the .net control for media
player 9 is integrated into the software.

4. Any media player other than windows media player 9 cannot be used.

OK, now that I've outlined that, here's what I've achieved so far:

I have a working installation of Wine 0.9 that has Media player 7, IE6
and the .net framework installed sucessfully.  The only reason that this
program will not install is because the install file looks for MEdia
Player 9 and does not find it.

All help appreciated,

Cheers,

Matt