[Sussex] Noob

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Feb 1 09:04:48 UTC 2005

Geoff

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:40:26AM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> Gavin Stevens wrote:
> <snip>
> > Incidentally, I found out that it is possible to install Ubuntu without
> > Gnome - I came across a how-to on the Ubuntu site relating to less
> > powerful machines. It seems that typing the word "custom" before
> > starting the installation results in a basic installation without a GUI.
> > You then apt-get all the X-server bits & cap it all with Icewm. I shall
> > try this when I give space to Ubuntu on my HD - I use Icewm on Debian,
> > it's my favourite window manager & even on my 2.8GHz machine, I don't
> > like to have things using more resources than necessary.
> >
> > Also, Icewm is more "Windows-like" in appearance & could be a good
> > choice for enticing people from Windows.
> </snip>
>
> While I understand your choice of IceWM I would encourage people
> generally to stick with Gnome if they wish to get the best out of Ubuntu
> - it is a much more "complete" desktop environment with all the little
> touches that Windows and Mac users expect.  GNOME (and KDE) take
> advantage of a look of work being done by FreeDesktop.org that is
> helping make Linux a much more consistent, professional feeling experience.
>
> Most impotantly of all Ubuntu actively maintains a GNOME configuration
> above and beyond the default install.  Ubuntu releases are tied to GNOME
> releases and they provide extra integration packages that make several
> applications (OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird) integrate strongly
> with GNOME.

A good recomendation, but in a free (as in speach) socity the members
are allowed to "deviate from the norm" - there you are, Gavin, you're
now a deviate :-)

If, as earler posted, Longhorn is going to be a DRM infested nightmare,
how much longer will it be until the software starts blocking access
to some content because you have already selected another?  Sort of
like how radio stations mainly play the songs released by the artists
under contract to the studios that own the radio stations? [Geoff,
this was not meant to be a red flag to your bull. Ed]