[Sussex] Linux market to exceed $35bn by 2008

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Feb 4 10:51:17 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:
> Andrew
>
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:42:28AM -0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
>
>>                 [I]t an issue of trust at the moment most business only
>>trust Microsoft etc.
>

> I don't think that is true.  It is a matter of change, and most people
> don't like change.
>
> The change to Linux in the server room doesn't effect many people.  As
> only the administrators have to change to the new system.  Even if the
> server is a file server, so long as it serves up the files the desktop
> users don't see any change.
>
> The big problem with putting Linux on the desktop is not that it can't
> be done, it is not that the apps aren't available.  It is the disruption
> to business while people adapt to the "new order".

Damn right!  Hell, if I could get the entire office to switch to non M$
products, and Linux, I would - cos then I could run it myself - however,
there is always one that won't (normally someone senior with Clout) -
and that stops the rest of us.

And that doesn't even begin to deal with the problem of connecting
everyones non-standard devices (Can you connect an Ericsson P900 on
Linux?  Probably, but I wouldn't spend my time supporting it, and they
would then bitch.)  Or, that most wonderful package - Sage Line 50 -
another thing that would have to be run in an unsupported environment.

My opinion is definately that the only way to make it happen in the
short term is to make the Linux Desktop as easy to use and as familiar
as Windoze - and that means software compatibility, hardware
compatibility, etc.

In the long term, I hope that M$ continue on their policy of alienating
users and companies such that the users naturally migrate to Linux.

Richie