[Sussex] network problems + how to solve ???

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Sat Feb 5 05:34:52 UTC 2005

> Ho hum!
>
> Since migrating from pipex to eclipse I seem to be having a few snags.
>
> It goes like this. When "they" first changed the service like for like,
> i.e. 500k for 500k there was no problem. Since they've done some mods on
> the line so it supports up to 2 megs, ha ha! problem.
>
> The problem, well the line where the modem router device (solwise SAR110)
> is plugged in, also has an extension phone splitter with a cable that goes
> away to a Sky set top box, plus a normal wired phone plugged in. With that
> lot, the modem router is often dropping the connection, and the "adsl"
> light just flashes through the syncing sequence over and over again
> (looping ??).
>
> Then I can't get the sync back until I've unplugged everything expecp the
> RJ11 connection to the modem router. I've tried using different types of
> microfilters ("block" type, rather than plug/pendant cable/splitter type),
> with limited success i.e. the block ones "seem" to work better?? though it
> could just be my imagination. I've also tried changing the network cables
> etc etc. I've contacted solwise who advised me to upgrade the firmware,
> which I did, still the same problem, and tomorrow I'll go through
> elimination to see if I can work out what the problem might be with the
> other plug in devices. Though i'm starting to suspect it could be an
> external problem.
>
> How would I find out ?
>
> regards
>
> John D.
>
> p.s. Oh and one of the other little snags that this does, is that when the
> modem router has dropped sync, I often experience mega probs getting into
> the routers config panel via a browser i.e. it either flags up as "network
> problems" or just times out etc. I do have a serial cable plugged into com
> 1 and the router, but I don't know what the linux equivalent of
> "hyperterminal" is ! I don't seem to be able to connect it via telnet
> (which just tells me "command not found"), so how would I connect the
> router if it starts this nonsense (rather than booting into windows to
> sort out)?

Was is raining or has been raining within last 72 hours.  It the main
reason why I think all DSL are waste of time.
If this happens then will experance problems ie cracking on voice calls ect.
Also look out for Sky box's they some of engine's from BT frown upon them,
if see on they will blame it.

What you should do is not make fault report until at least:-
1) Remover everything from the phone line and mean everything, no phone's,
no fax's, no modem's, nothing.
2) Connect a phone which you know is working to main BT socket.  This is
will be one that is parallel with cable that outside of your house.  (Most
people don't use this as normaly at wrong side of the house.)

This is very import to get correct as BT WILL invoice you for any other
sockets.  BT is not responsible for any extra sockets in you house, you
are and they will invoice you on your next bill from them.  How very nice
of them!

--
This e-mail has been edited with a webmail service.