[Sussex] Online with Ubuntu

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 8 00:32:28 UTC 2005

Hi Gavin

Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Finally got round to installing Ubuntu.

Good man...

> The installation was very quick - no more than 20 minutes from inserting
> the CD to showing the Gnome desktop in mud brown.

I must object... it's most definitely "Monkey shit brown"...
-----%<------
> One thing I've noticed is that it has no software whatsoever that will
> do anything with mp3 files. I truly admire this spirited stand against a
> non-free format, but I have 30 CDs worth (as wave files) of mp3s, so I
> think a visit to the Audacity website is on the cards.

If you're using Synaptic to manage packages go to
"Settings->Repositories" and ensure that you have the "universe" and
"multiverse" repositories selected.  Having done that hit reload and
then search for "Mp3" and you'll find a very long list of application to
create, play and manage MP3's.

Just like Debian ubuntu doesn't put non-free software in the core
distribution.

> The hardest thing right now is not having Sylpheed, my top favourite
> e-mail client of all time.

If you follow the above steps Sylpheed is definitely available.

-----%<-----

> Apart from these teething troubles, it seems good.

It's very good.  In terms of a no hassle, stable (but up to date) and
easily managed distro it's definitely the best I've seen.  All the good
bits of Debian without the epic release intervals.

As ever, more adventurous users would be well advised to give Arch or
Gentoo a go, but Ubuntu really is a very comfortable place to live in
the day to day.

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation <tealeg at member.fsf.org>