[Sussex] Online with Ubuntu

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 09:38:37 UTC 2005

 From: Geoffrey Teale [mailto:tealeg at member.fsf.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] Online with Ubuntu

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > For accelerating specific operations, typically floating point type
> > operations. MMX/3DNow are only of any real use if you are hand
coding
> > assembly routines with them for things like codecs or 3D work. gcc
isn't
> > going to be able to do anything significant with them on most code.
>
> gcc will use MMX and SSE register optomizations (for example) as
> appropriate, if ,and only if, the correct flags are passed to it.  You
> are right in saying that this kind of support only effects certain
> processes but nothing I have said prior to this point suggests
otherwise.

One thing that I found useful was the fact that I could set the AMD64
flag as there is quite a difference when the computer knows it can use
64bit architecture instead of 32bit. Alas in the case of this the
software has to have support for it as much as the compiler does.

When I was trying this stuff out because of Gentoo fondness of getting
the latest stuff available to you rather then Debian's laidback when its
stable we will make it easy for you to get.

Although duly noted that Ubuntu does have a AMD64 port that I have
downloaded but yet to try as I only have Ubuntu on a spare machine at
the moment.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.