[Sussex] if MS developed Gentoo ...

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Feb 11 11:00:49 UTC 2005

Gareth Ablett wrote:
> For quick applications I have always used Delphi/Kylix instead of VB but
> I guess its on the same par. Tbh I prefer c/c++ (even if I do have to
> use MFC at work).

Delphi was always in a different league to VB.  Object Pascal is a
frustrating language but a far more capable one than VB (prior to .NET).

C and C++ are wonderful languages, I deeply enjoy them both, but it is
fair to say that C++ is a vast and not suitable for the sort of people
whose approach to programming is purely informed by Visual Basic
experience.  Matters of style and approach are more important in C++
than in any other language I've worked in simply because there is so
much scope for acts of pure evil.

If you have to work with MFC (lord knows we've all been there) just
remind yourself that this is not "high church C++" but the C++ of
deviant trolls - best bit of C++ advice I'd  give anyone is this: join
the ACCU (http://www.accu.org) and get involved in the code critque
program and read the two journals of the magazine - that way lies
virtuousness.

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation <tealeg at member.fsf.org>