[Sussex] Microsoft to collapse..

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 12 19:15:55 UTC 2005

Geoff

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:39:10AM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> A nice little article from the business department of ABC News (a
> somehwat suprising source):
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/print?id=88655
>
> It mentions how Linux and Firefox now have the "mindshare", not Microsoft.

My favorite bit was when they asked:  "How many people know that Microsoft
have launched a search engine site this month?"  I hadn't - I knew that they
where into better search engine technology to help scan the content of the
local disks, but not web search engines.

This made the article's new approach (for me) into why M$ can't survive
(in its current form) believable.  Microsoft is no longer the dynamic go
getter that start-ups, and establishing companies have to be.  Grads are
longer leaving Uni wanting to go to M$ in the numbers they once did.
People applying for jobs will be those wanting as "safe job", as M$ is
the monopoly holder, and monopoly holders tend to attract that kind of
personality.

If you haven't read the article I recommend you do.  It point out a new
set of problems that M$ in maintaining and growing their business.