[Sussex] Samba configuration ???

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 12 20:58:46 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 19:21 +0000, John D. wrote:
> So, this rather convenient mobile phone/pda (an O2 XDA2s) that I have.
> Well it unfortunately runs Pocket PC.
>
> I'm presuming that it should be able to be configured/shared etc via samba.
>
> Does anyone have any either good (idiot level) links to howto's etc,
> because I've installed samba but what I need to do from there
> is anyones guess.
>
> The device plugs via a usb cradle (which is also a charger) and now that
> I've stuffed a 1 gig SD card in it I want to shove some mp3's into it.
>
> As usual, advice instructions and suggestions are vvv much appreciated.
>
> regards
>
> John D.
>
> p.s. Oh and I've now got emacs installed as well, but the portage tree is
> still listing 21.4 and not the latest version that Geoff suggested, though
> I suspect
> it won't be long!

John,

I haven't tried to connect to my Pocket PC XDAIIs with Samba. I'm fairly
sure PocketPC as installed on the XDA doesn't support it. However, I do
use SynCE for file transfer and synchronisation of Evolution.

Depending on your configuration there are a number of components. You
will need the basic SynCE libraries and stuff, with SynCE-KDE or
SynCEGnomeVFS depending on your choice of desktop. SynCE is a work in
progress but so far it's been pretty usable. However, you'll need the
latest release to get the best out of it. If you're a Gentoo user you'll
need to use the ~x86 masked packages.

This link will get you started.

http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/

Make sure you follow the install and connect instructions carefully.

I find it works better with a 2.6 series kernel and udev.

Hope this helps.

Steve Williams.