[Sussex] Microsoft to collapse..

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sun Feb 13 00:53:34 UTC 2005

Hi

On Sat, February 12, 2005 15:23, paul.morriss at tokenbay.co.uk said:
> I disagree with this statement, Microsoft has broken into a difficult
> market with the X-Box and has done very very well against Sony and

They've done reasonably well, but the PS2 is way older and it completely
owned their sales figures for a very long time; the most recent round of
price cuts has pretty much levelled the field though. Sales are probably
going to be tailing off soon anyway as people await all three next gen
consoles at the big games shows this year :D

>> After all, it'd be easy for Microsoft to download Gentoo (oh god, all

Technically it wouldn't be too hard, but it would be a pretty huge pill
for them to swallow. I think it's very unlikely to happen, as in, it won't
;)

> Did Microsoft not have a go at there own version Linux a while ago, I

Not that I've ever heard of.

> thought I heard rumours about them trying again using .Net technology.

they are probably just playing with Mono to see what it's like ;)

> Microsoft are already going hand-in-hand with Linux, Microsoft Office and
> IIE to come to Linux, what next?  Internet Explorer, Media Player?  They

Office has come to Linux? Only by way of products like Crossover, which is
hardly the same as an official MS port. If you mean IIS by IIE then I
seriously doubt they'd bother porting that ;)
Some third parties port MS software to some UNIX platforms, e.g. IE/Media
Player were ported to Solaris a few years ago, but this is a long way from
MS releasing Linux software.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones