[Sussex] Problem setting up remote printing in CUPS

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Feb 13 17:00:08 UTC 2005

Hi all

I hate Unix printer, and always have.

I have successful setup a local printer on my server.  Attached
via a USB and it works fine.

The problem is with the laptop - which needs to be configured
to print from both the wire and wireless networks.

I am currently on the wireless network, and have configured the
firewall to open port 631.  I can browse the web interface of
the server okay - and I can see entries in the server CUPS log
so I know the firewall is letting the packets pass.

However I get the following message:
    get_printer_attrs: resource name '/hplj/' no good!

On the laptop the web interface is reporting:

    Location: Office
    Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
    "Destination printer does not exist!"
    Device URI: http://bugs.dobbo.uthink.co.uk:631/hplj/