[Sussex] MS "alledged" threats to Denmark

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Thu Feb 17 17:08:41 UTC 2005

oops - a minor translation error on my part:

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:02:08PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:34:23AM +0000, John D. wrote:
> > Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> > >The point is , I imagine this whole things is actually rather more run
> > >of the mill than the attitude of the average slashdot reader would
> > >suggest.
> >
> > Sorry, my dismay at some of the "alleged" comments, clouded my musing's.
> > What I suppose I really meant, is not so much that Gates might have said
> > such a thing, but said them in earshot of journo's - given the everso
> > slightly tarnished reputation of M$. I suspect that he's "probably" got
> > enough "smarts" to have a handle on such things, even things potentially
> > as low on his probable agenda as PR. Mis-quote or not, it still makes
> > him look just a little foolish.
>
> Oddly enough, there were no journalists present as far as I've read.  It
> was Microsofts chief attorney (actually "Chef Jurist" ~ top legal
> person) who stated that in an interview with the newspaper "Borsen"
> (Danish equivalent to The Financial Times):
>     http://borsen.dk/dn/70135
>
> where the interesting paragraph is:
>
>     "Hvis jeg skal beholde mit udviklingscenter i Danmark, kræver det,
>     at der kommer en afklaring på rettighedsspørgsmålet. Ellers flytter
>     jeg det til USA, hvor jeg kan beskytte mine rettigheder," sagde Bill
>     Gates ifølge Microsofts chefjurist Marianne Wier, der også deltog på
>     mødet med Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
>
> which roughly translates to:
>
>     "If I am to keep my development centre in Denmark, it requires a
>     solution to the IP rights question. Otherwise I will move it to the

should read: "... it requires a solution to the rights question". There
is no mention of IP (intellectual property) in the Danish version.
Although I'm pretty sure that's the sort of rights that mr BG refers to.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com