[Sussex] XBOX FIRE RISK

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Fri Feb 18 10:27:02 UTC 2005

On 18 Feb 2005, at 10:21, Andrew Guard wrote:

> Microsoft has issued an emergency recall for XBox.  There is a serious
> risk of XBox hard ware starting a fire.

It's actually only the power cable that's got the problem, not the Xbox
itself.

> This is nothing new for Microsoft naff software, naff hardware.

Which other hardware would you describe as 'naff'? I have a Microsoft
Optical mouse sitting on my desk, because I consider them one of the
best mice on the market for reliability and usability. As do many other
people I know - even die hard open source advocates. IBM helped the
Nazi's during WWII, do you stop using their hardware? I think not...

> This is a serious safty risk, do not use XBox until you have hardware
> fixed, you could be puting your familey at risk by using the XBox.

Yes, you too could be the one out of 10,000 people (estimated) who's
xbox power cable gets a bit warm! I'm not aware of them spontaneously
bursting into flames, burning the house down and raping your mother,
though.

Yes there is a risk that there could potentially be a safety issue with
your xbox power cable, but A) how often do you play about with the
power cable? and B) it's been working fine for X months (I've had mine
about 1.5 years, and as far as I've noticed, it's not burnt the house
down, or raped my mother).

Jon

--
Jon Fautley