[Sussex] Whats the difference?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 22:27:43 UTC 2005

Amongst other things, I've been dreaming about the possibility of
getting a barebones system and then customising some of the components.

As far as I can see, most of the barebones systems available are pretty
garbage i.e. trendy cube models which seem to lack expansion.

Ideally, lots of pci slots would enable me to "play" to my hearts
content, but now the buggers seems to be changing the ball game (again).

I see that the latest standards of graphic card interface is PCI-x(16x),
but I also have read reference to  "normal"  PCI-x slots and  PCI spdif
out slots

Whats the difference between the latter and are they compatible in anyway?

regards

John D.